May 19, 2014 – At the May 19 Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners meeting County Manager Mike Downs presented the proposed budget for fiscal year 2015. The balanced budget includes a recommended General Fund Budget of $209,684,590—a 1.77 percent decrease in spending from the FY14 adopted budget.
To fund this budget as proposed will require the Board of Commissioners to adopt an ad valorem tax rate of 70 cents, the same rate as the amended FY13 and FY14 budgets.
In his message, Downs highlighted several areas of the FY15 budget, including:
- A reduction in departmental current expenses of approximately $2.7 million;
- A new branch of the Cabarrus County Public Library System in the Midland (southern Cabarrus) area and an additional Emergency Medical Service (EMS) station in the Concord Mills/Speedway area;
- Additional $2,696,438 in proposed funding for annual salary increases and building maintenance for Cabarrus County and Kannapolis City school districts;
- Workers compensation costs funded through the current expense budget;
- And the revision of the County’s Five Year Plan to provide additional capital and current expense funding to schools.